Monday, May 18, 2009

Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin.



Can I tell you how much it sucks to get old? When you're younger, you can abuse the snot out of your body and it just bounces back. Drink too much. Get up the next day and be fine. Stay out all night, show up in the same clothes you wore the day before and you're fine. Run, jump, fall, whatever and everything is ok the next day. However, I've found that all that abuse that you subjected yourself to in your younger days takes it's toll. It's never right away, it waits until you turn 35. Then it sneaks in and slowly makes getting up a little harder, drinking a little more painful, and God know's I can't seem to function on less than 7 hours sleep.

Today is one of those days. A day, I didn't get my seven hours of sleep. A day, that I was so sore it hurt to roll over in bed much less get out of it. A day, that putting on my jeans was a true experience. I'm thankful for the fact that there are no camcorders in my home.

My youngest dog, Zion, comes bouncing into the room full of boundless energy. Jumping on cats, other dogs and me. The me part is what I was really concerned with. All the others have to fend for themselves at this point.

When I was a child, I could never understand my Mother's lack of wanting to play and run. I sure as hell can now. I'm not even as old as she was then. I can't believe I've gotten so old. I've become dull. I've become the people that just want to stay at home and curl up with a book. I didn't understand it then, but now I totally get it.

Furthermore, I hear things come out of my mouth that I heard my mother say. It shocks me. I think all women, provided that they live long enough, are destined to become their mother. Scary thought. Truly scary.

No comments: